PDA

View Full Version : SOPA - Stop Online Piracy Act

DarthKitten
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
As you all probably have heard there's a - in my opinion - completely idiotic lawproposal to stop online piracy. Sure, by the mere name it might sound good, but they are taking it to the extreme. If a website has ANY trace of copyrighted or pirated material, the US government has right to take down the website even if it's not an american domain.

What could this mean for the rest of the world? Well, unless people do something about it (which so far A LOT of people has and 10 senators has withdrawn their support for SOPA) a large portion of the internet could be put to rest and the end of the internet as we know it.

So, discuss what positive and/or negative effects this could have.

Link to a wikipedia article of SOPA. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act)

Selenee
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Jerks think they own the world. not only American government but all other governments only want to show off their powers and stuff. Bull****s , all our problems are from the ****ed up politics , We do that , we do this.

First they start mental war , then their ships are off our water , ready to launch rockets at us , same goes for us . our government does anything to access the nuke power , all bull****s , it's all about getting more power and stuff .
They want more oil , they came to Asia , now most of Arab countries are fighting with each other , and they all aim at Iran.
They put blocks on other country resources now they want to close the sites included in SOPA law.

it goes on and on , they will do anything they want and they hide it behind various laws and bills of rights. This is not only about America but all other countries , even my own . here they hide behind religion , they Messed up Muslim for **** , real Muslim is unique here.

I can go on and on or hours but what's the point.

Ricana
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Nah, the whole thing is pure bull**** - glad that BIG companies stand united against that stuff.

Oh and interesting side note:

SOPA Author Lamar Smith (R-TX) Breaks Copyright Law on His Own Website (http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/11747/sopa-author-lamar-smith-rtx-breaks-copyright-law-on-his-own-website)

Failed hard.

Colander
01-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I think this act is awesome and will protect everyone from everything !

Sanku
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Nah, the whole thing is pure bull**** - glad that BIG companies stand united against that stuff.

Oh and interesting side note:

SOPA Author Lamar Smith (R-TX) Breaks Copyright Law on His Own Website (http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/11747/sopa-author-lamar-smith-rtx-breaks-copyright-law-on-his-own-website)

Failed hard.

Haha, that's awesome. I can imagine how far people who backed him up on that, burrowed their palm into their faces, when they heard of it xD

Emille
01-20-2012, 12:37 AM
It's funny how out of hand this is becoming. I don't know how it is where everyone else lives, but in the US, it's total chaos.

All I can saw is, if it passes, I swear we'll see WW3. Everyone's pushing the topic to write and send our opinons to our Congressmen and woman which most everyone is.

For those people who still don't get it. Let me break it down for you.

Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Myspace, anything that has something from another company, person, business that is copywritten and doesn't have their permisson - Could be fined, or even put into jail. but first.. The site/program or whatever has the material will be banned and shut down. And yes, you can hate me for saying this but even this server, Well.. ALL private servers would be shut down because they do not have the permisson from Blizzard to be running.

Even in more simple terms - I could be fined/put in jail because of my sig. Did I ask Lady Gaga for her permission to be used in it? Nope.. so BAM.

I really hope it doesn't pass. I've read somewhere ( and no I don't fully believe it cause Obama is just a lying sack of shiiiiit) Obama doesn't "approve" of the bill so his opinion is a "NO" but that actually doesn't really help because there are ways for a bill to become a law without his approval.

I could argue with anyone who supports this total bull of a proposal - I had an arguement over Faceboook with another. Over 3 hours of discussion and +300 comments. Sad thing is - More and more people piled on so it just turned into a big "you're an idiot" fest..

Selenee
01-20-2012, 07:39 PM
they say sopa closed megaupload , dunno if that's true . but site won't open anymore

МĨŃĎ
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Helpful vid..maybe
SOPA and PIPA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqMoOk9NWc)

DarthKitten
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Sopa did not close megavideo, as it has not been acknowledged as a rightful law yet. Megaupload was shut down for copyright issues which still is a crime SOPA or not. However, megaupload has magnificent lawyers and the fact that they are the 13th most visited website in existance (well, up until now) so they might get back up and running with some minor restrictions.

In fact, the feds have gone out to say they shut it down, not the legislation. This is just a small, small taste of what SOPA will do to the internet, just that they'll shut down the even bigger sites such as twitter, facebook, youtube, wikipedia and google.

Walruin
01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
PIPA

Let’s begin by first breaking down the first of the two bills that were introduced, PIPA. PIPA is an acronym for the Protect IP Act, and was first introduced to the U.S. Senate on May 12, 2011 by Senators Patrick Leahy, Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassley. It is also good to take note that PIPA is a re-written legislation, the original being the failed to pass Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) of 2010.

PIPA, if passed, will give U.S. corporations and the government the right to seek affirmative legal action with any website that they see as enabling copyright infringement whether of U.S. origin or not. Here is a breakdown of all that they will have the power to do.

Force U.S. internet providers to block access to websites deemed as enablers of copyright infringement
Seek legal action by suing search engines, blog sites, directories, or any site in general to have the black listed sites removed from their website
Will be able to force advertising services on infringing websites, and those supporting of them, to remove them from their advertising accounts
Companies will also have the power to sue any new websites that get started after this bill is passed, if they believe that they are not doing a good job of preventing infringement on your website
SOPA

SOPA is an acronym for the Stop Online Piracy Act, and is a bill introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives by Represenative Lamar Smith on October 26, 2011. In similarity with PIPA, SOPA is a build on a previous legislation. This legislation being the PRO-IP Act of 2008.

SOPA, if passed, will work in conjunction with PIPA. As described by such entities as the Electronic Frontier Foundation, SOPA is nothing more so than the U.S. government and private corporations black list. Here is a breakdown of the power given to the government and private corporations.

The U.S. Attorney General can now seek a court order that would force search engines, advertisers, DNS providers, servers, and payment processors from having any contact with allegedly infringing websites
It will allow private corporations to create their own personal hit lists composed of websites they feel are breaking their copyright policies, ironically this doesn’t have any odd feelings of a legal mafia at all. These companies will be able to directly contact a website’s payment processors a notice to cut all off payment involvement with the targeted website. This payment processors and website of question will then have five days to act before it is simply taken down.
Payment processors will have the power to cut off any website they work with, as long as they can provide a strong reason of why they believe this site is violating copyrights

so it's nothing good.

Coexist
01-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Just another idiotic piracy law that shows that a) money controls the law b) US sticking there nose in countrys they dont belong, just like they did in the TPB trial.

This law also makes it harder for smaller artists trying to make a name for themselves.

Daazlol
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
This is a nice topic. i'll get my feedback over this.
Sopa as its known in america. is ACTA in holland.
My brother has orgenized a BIG meeting against it.
We'll get around 500 / 600+ people to get to "the dam" in Amsterdam.
We're going to protest against acta.
If you want to know more about this / acta. here is a nice video :)
Stop ACTA! (Dutch/NL version) - YouTube (http://www.watisacta.nl)

I'd love all dutch people to join. if you want to READ more rather go to this page:
ACTA Protest Amsterdam! | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/events/366916189988648/?notif_t=event_photo_change)